Sunday, September 25, 2011

I'm Getting Dizzy

Inception: Rotating Hotel Scene



This happens to be one of my favorite scenes from this movie, and on of my favorite fight scenes of all time, trailing behind the T-Rex vs. Velociraptors in Jurassic Park, and Woody vs. Buzz Lightyear from Toy Story simply for nostalgia and humor. Something that always bugged me about this, and the entire movie in general I suppose, was the background music. The track titled "Dream is Collapsing" appears a lot in this movie, and that wouldn't be a problem if not for the fact that it's the song warning the characters that they were about to wake up slowed down by a lot. So then, one must wonder if this is a diagetic or non-diagetic sound; as in if the characters can actually hear it or if it is simply a part of the soundtrack. I also liked how the things that were happening outside the dream influenced what was happening within. As in, if the dreamer hears a bump, then those in the dreamer's world hear a bump but at a much deeper pitch, and much more drawn out. I feel that this is both Literal, as to show how the outside world affects that of the inside, but it's also Semantic, and shows the distance those that are sleeping are from being awake.

No comments:

Post a Comment